Tuesday 8 January 2013

A dream no more


The date is set, the flights are booked; the adventure will soon begin. “Thank you for the opportunities” read the letter of resignation handed to my employer; the opportunities ahead, however, seem to outshine those referenced. A door has been opened, a path awaits my footsteps; now all that I need to do is choose the shoes that will walk along it...

That’s right its time to cull, de-clutter, reduce. Time to decide what will be packed into the single bag that I will carry with me around the world for a year. (So, naturally, I have spent the past month shopping!). Time to take stock, assess the numbers - Six weeks remain; a meagre forty-six days until Josh and I are officially unemployed, uninhibited, footloose and fancy-free, embarking on the greatest adventure of my life so far. This prospect is both ludicrously exciting and mildly daunting. To-do lists are the order of the day, slowly items are crossed off. With every strike of another item off of the list the reality of the journey that lies ahead of us becomes ever more apparent – ever more exciting.

One of the new purchases...

365 days of awesomeness and adventure have been planned...
March 2013 Grampians
April 3 2013 London
April 6 2013 Fontainebleau, France
April 28 2013  Magic Wood, Switzerland
June 1 2013 Grindelwald, Switzerland
June 8  UK – Liverpool, Leeds, Edinburgh, Lake District
July  2013 Edmonton to Squamish
October 2013 Leavenworth WA (short trip through Idaho)
Nov 13 Utah
Dec 13 Grand Canyon/Las Vegas/Bishop
Jan 2014 Bishop/Joshua Tree
Feb 2014 Joshua Tree/Yosemite
March 2014 Grampians

Tempting as it is to say that ‘this is my dream’, this statement sells short that which lies ahead. A dream no more, this is my reality and I love it! For me 2013 will not be a year of dreams, rather a year of endeavours. You see dreams without actions are buildings without entries – taunting the cold and tired with warmth and promise without improving their circumstance. Fruitless and wasteful – tomorrows that will never arrive. In 2013 I commit to act upon my dreams, to live consciously in the current moment, to celebrate the good and learn from the bad. 

Here’s to taking advantage of every opportunity that is offered in the year ahead! 

1 comment: